Foot and Ankle Pain Relief
An Easy Cure for Your Foot and Ankle Pains
You spend an incredible amount of time using your feet every day, and if you are suffering from foot and ankle pain, your life can be greatly impacted. It can cause dread and agony when taking the stairs, walking a block to your office, or even driving your car. Foot and ankle pain can stem from a variety of different causes, but Ottawa Health Group can help get you back on track. Chiropractic and physiotherapy have been proven to help with the rehabilitation of injured extremities, in addition to providing relief for both acute and chronic pain. Contact us today to speak with one of our licensed Ottawa or Kanata, ON chiropractors, massage therapists, and physiotherapists and learn more about how our services can benefit you!
How does foot and ankle pain occur?
Your feet and your ankles are complex mechanical structures that must work together in harmony in order to function at their optimal level
s. The Arthritis Foundation states that the ankle joint consists of three bones that all must interact with one another correctly, along with the various connective tissues that hold the assembly of the joint together.
The foot is even more complex, containing approximately two dozen bones, 30 joints, and over 100 muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Because of all the complicated structures that make up your feet and ankles, pain in those areas is a very common affliction. An injury to your foot or ankle can result in pain so severe that you avoid putting your weight down. This leaves you with only two options; hopping around, risking injury to your other foot, or worse, being stuck in a chair, unable to go anywhere and take care of yourself or others. Even mild pain can cause physical limitations to your daily life, and burden those around you.
What causes foot and ankle pain?
Foot and ankle pain can occur suddenly due to an acute injury, or it can develop over time in relation to a chronic, underlying condition. According to the Mayo Clinic, there are several common causes of foot pain and ankle pain, including:
- Strains and sprains. A strain occurs when a muscle or tendon is stretched, while a sprain occurs when a ligament is stretched too far or torn.
- Fractures. A fracture occurs from excessive force or trauma to the bone, causing it to crack or break entirely. A fracture to the foot or ankle could result in weeks of downtime to ensure proper healing.
- Tendinitis. Tendinitis occurs from excessive overuse of the tendons, causing them to become inflamed for a long time.
- Bursitis. Bursitis occurs when the tendons rub against the “bursae” or anti-friction sacs, causing them to become irritated and uncomfortable.
- Plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation in the connective tissue on the bottom of your foot. This can occur from aggravated overuse, such as constant standing, improper posture, or footwear that lacks proper arch support.
- Tarsal tunnel syndrome. Tarsal tunnel syndrome occurs when the tarsal tunnel (the nerve that runs from the ankle to the foot) becomes pinched and inflamed.
- Arthritis. Arthritis is a common inflammatory condition that affects the joints and results in pain; the most common types including osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Both types of arthritis can greatly impact the foot and ankle joints.
- Fallen arches. Your foot contains several tendons that work together to form your arch. When the tendons pull together properly, your foot will form a proper arch. However, when the tendons do not pull together properly, your foot will form a very small arch or no arch at all. This is referred to as “fallen arch” or “flat foot” and can cause pain or discomfort with time.
How can chiropractic, massage, and physiotherapy treat my foot and ankle pain?
Whether you are suffering from an acute injury or chronic condition in your foot or ankle, you can find relief at the Ottawa Health Group. An Ottawa or Kanata, ON chiropractors, massage therapists, and physiotherapists will conduct a thorough examination to confirm what is causing your pain, and then they will create a personalized treatment plan for you specifically.
Your treatment plan will typically include a combination of specialized hands-on manual therapy techniques, exercises and stretching, in order to restore joint mobility, improve balance, and strengthen the foot and ankle muscles. Your treatment plan may also include exercises on a balance board, as well as other specialized services. We will do all we can to ease your pain quickly and boost your circulation. We will also evaluate and recommend lifestyle changes or orthotic footwear to prevent more problems in the future.
Don’t let foot and ankle pain slow you down! Our Ottawa or Kanata, ON chiropractic, massage, and physiotherapy practice will help you dictate your own mobility, comfort, and overall function, free from the limitations of pain. Contact the Ottawa Health Group today to schedule your appointment. We’ll help you get back on your feet in no time!